When it comes to account creation, choosing a username for yourself is arguably the most difficult task of all, and unfortunately, not everyone gets it quite right the first time round.
Some games often charge players in order for them to change their username, which can be a pain if you happen to mess it up the first time round.
Thankfully, if you’re looking to change your username on Apex Legends, it’s completely free for you to do, which certainly helps to remove some of the stress involved!
The process involved with changing your username on Apex Legends differs from platform to platform.
Thankfully, in this guide, we’ll be covering how to change your Apex Legends name on all of the platforms.
It is worth noting that should you change your name on Apex Legends, it means that you’ll change your username elsewhere, so think carefully about what you choose!
How To Change Apex Legends Name On PC
Compared to changing your Apex Legends (see also ‘When Did Apex Legends Come Out?‘) name on consoles, changing your name on the PC is a much easier process.
It does differ depending on whether you use Origin or Steam but still remains relatively easy.
For Origin Users
If you use Origin in order to play Apex Legends, then here is your guide on how you change your name:
- Firstly, launch Origin.
- Then, click where your current username is, this should be next to your chosen profile photo, in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen.
- Next, click “View my profile”
- After that, in the top left corner of your profile, it should say: “Edit on EA.com”.
- Upon clicking this link, you’ll be redirected to EA’s website. If you haven’t visited this page previously, then you will have to verify your email address and set a security question for your account.
- Next to where it says “Basic Information”, there should be the word “Edit” in blue.
- This will then allow you to change your Origin ID.
For Steam Users
If you use Steam instead of Origin to play Apex Legends, then here is the tutorial on how you can change your name:
- Open Steam, allow it to load up.
- Once it has loaded up, you should be taken to your library, navigate your way to the top right corner of the screen. You should be able to see your username
- Click on the option that says “View Profile”This link will then redirect you to the page of your profile.
- You should then be able to see an edit button, click it.
- If you go to the “General” tab, you should then see an option that allows you to change your username, which will in turn, change your username in Apex Legends.
How To Change Apex Legends Name On Console
As mentioned earlier, changing your username on PC is a lot easier to do than if you play Apex Legends using a console, it’s free to do, and can be done any number of times.
If you happen to play Apex Legends on your console, however, it’s a different story.
Your Apex Legends tag is directly linked to your gamer tag, which means that if you wish to change the name displayed in Apex Legends, then you’ll have no choice but to change either your PSN or Xbox Live tag.
This means you’ll have to think extra carefully about what you decide to name yourself, because both PSN and Xbox Live limit the number of times you can edit your tag, so once you’ve changed your tag, you’re going to be stuck with it for a little while.
For Playstation Users
If you play Apex Legends and want to change your name tag, then here is the process you need to follow in order to do so:
- On your web browser (either on a computer or a mobile device), make your way to Sony’s account management page, and use your account details to log in
- Next to where your current name tag is displayed, there should be an option to edit it.
- Enter the new ID you want to see displayed in game.
- Upon changing the ID used on your PSN, you’ll be logged out everywhere, so you’ll need to login the next time you decide to play.
You can also do this method via your Playstation 4 or 5 if you prefer, simply go to settings, “account management”, then to “account information”, view your profile and then select “online ID”. This should then let you change your ID.
For Xbox Users
Much like the Playstation, in order to change your name in Apex Legends, you’ll have to change your Xbox Gamertag, to do so:
- Go to Xbox.com
- Sign in with your login details
- Click on your username, and then choose your Xbox profile.
- Then, select “Customize”
- Next to your current gamer tag it should have a small pencil icon.
- Clicking on this will take you to a new screen where you will be able to change your Xbox gamertag.
This is also possible on your Xbox console too, simply click the Xbox button, open up the guide panel, click on “Profile and System” and then click your gamertag.
Then “My profile” and then “Customize Profile”, you’ll then be able to change your gamertag.
How To Change Apex Legends Name On Nintendo Switch
If you play Apex Legends on the Nintendo Switch, changing your name is super easy, and is much simpler to do than both on console or than on PC.
So if you want to change your Apex Legends name on the Nintendo Switch, just follow these quick and simple steps:
- Turn on your Switch, and find your way to the main menu.
- Select your profile/username in the top corner of the screen.
- Once in your profile settings, click on the pencil icon next to your current name.
- Type in the new name you want to use, and then click “OK”!